Sunday, May 01, 2011

A Dog Blog Post

Global Warming, Industrialization, and Deadly Spiders: No Big Deal

I'm going to tackle my two weeks of blog silence with a short blog post relating to this article. It's about the brown recluse, a very dangerous and sometimes deadly spider, migrating across the U.S. due to climate change. Now, to be honest, I hate spiders. I am allergic to spider bites and have been since I was a child, so I have an irrational fear of the spiders themselves. I am not excited for their impending migration, but I don't think that's the important part.

What this article doesn't cover is what climate change in conjunction with the destruction of natural habitats is doing to our planet. While seemingly inconsequential, in the last week, I've seen two woodpeckers, an owl, several rabbits, and three raccoons. No big deal, right? Except that I live right in the middle of Chicago, and while these animals are close neighbors and very plentiful in the suburbs, it is not common for them to make camp in the middle of large cities.

I enjoy technology. I have an iPod; my television allows me to watch HD; and I am currently writing this blog on my MacBook from the comfort of my couch. However, it's becoming increasingly obvious what human consumption and the evolution of knowledge, technology, and capitalism are doing to this planet. I recently watched several documentaries about the planet, and it's hard to hear that the clean water supply is dwindling, that the poles are melting at alarming speeds, and that agriculture growth is down. These fears, along with the brown recluse migrating to Wisconsin from the southeast, are merely symptoms of a larger problem.
 
I'm not sure what else to say, other than we need to change our way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment